Friday, January 31, 2014

Japanese Kimono Style Jacket without a Pattern

 
I made this kimono style jacket using a picture from http://cdn.rugrabbit.com/sites/default/files/imagecache and a few measurements. The pieces are basically rectangles, though I rounded the bottom a bit. The back rectangle should be the width of your shoulders plus a little and the length you would like the jacket to be plus hem allowance. The front pattern is identical to the back, split down the center, with about an inch and a half to be used as a self facing. Measure a loose fitting sleeve on a garment that fits you well for the width of the sleeve and make the length just past the elbow, or the length of your choice.
 
I did not line this jacket because the fabric is fairly heavy and I wanted it to be just something to toss on when the weather was chilly. I thought about trimming the sleeves with a cuff to match the collar (which by the way, is also just a rectangle), but decided not to.
 
This jacket is so easy I could see making several out of a variety of fabrics to wear in layering over a tank top, as a beach cover-up, or when a little warmth is needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment